The thing about owning a mountain bike, there’s a requirement to become familiar with the main parts of your mountain bike. But it is useful to become familiar will the less known parts of a bike such as the chainring bolts. Chainring bolts play a small but important role on your bike mainly. How to remove chainring bolts?
Removing the chainring bolts on your mountain bike is a straightforward task. First, you need to check if the chainring needs replacing or cleaning. The loose chainring bolts can be the most annoying while you are cycling as they can make a repetitive squeak.
In this post, we will go through how to remove chainring bolts on a mountain bike. Let’s get started!
Read more on common questions asked
- Do You Need A Chain Guard On A Bicycle?
- How To Grease Bike Crank Bearings On A Mountain Bike?
- How Often Should I Degrease and Lube My Chain?
- Can You Ride Mountain Bikes On The Pavements?
- Do I Need A Bike Stand?
- How To Remove Bottom Bracket On Mountain Bikes?
- How To Raise The Handlebars On A Mountain Bike?
What Are Chainring Bolts?
Chainring bolts on bikes are used to join and fasten the chainrings to their crank spider. They come in several different lengths with the two most common being use with double and single chainrings.
Do Chainring Bolts Come In A Standard Size?
Generally, chainring bolts have all the same diameter but not the same thickness. The different thicknesses are needed for different rings and combinations of rings.
There are two types of chainring bolts. These are as follows.
- The silver bolt has a slotted nut for use with a chainring nut wrench.
- The black bolt uses hex wrenches for both the screw and nut.
When Should I Replace Your Chainring Bolt?
You may need to replace your chainring bolts if you see any of the bolts are damaged, there is corrosion or rust developing on the bolts. Also if there is any damage on the bolt threads or if the nut and bolt do not feel right when you are tightening them.
What Tools You Will Need?
There are a couple of tools and materials needed for how to remove chainring bolts on a mountain bike. These are as follows.
- Hexagonal Socket or a Torx key.
- Grease or oil.
- Bike stand.
Other tools you may need for further bike maintenance.
WD-40 For Bike Chain
Bike Crank Extractor
Cassette Removal Tool
Bike Repair Kit
How To Remove Chainring Bolts?
Chainring bolts play an essential function in securing the chainrings to the bike crank spider. The bolts have a matched pair of thread, that is male and female threaded. The screw is the male thread, while its matching hole is known as the female thread.
The main reason to replace or remove the bolts is if they are becoming loose or damaged. Loose or damaged chainring bolts can be annoying while biking.
Let’s get started on removing chainring bolts.
- The first step to removing the chainring bolts is to put your bike in a bike stand.
- You can start by taking off the crankset in order to get to the chainrings.
- You need the right tools for the chainring bolts. The outside part of the chainring bolt has a hexagonal socket. It requires you to use the same shape key that is a hexagonal key. You require a hexagonal key or a Torx key. Otherwise, you can use a chainring nut wrench tool.
- A three-ring system has an inner ring bolted into holes directly on the crank spider. These bolts have a Torx socket with a star-shaped and require a specific tool to loosen it.
- In the next step, you have to keep holding the inside bolt simply the rear nut and prevent it from turning. Then, you can turn the outside bolt into an anti-clockwise direction. In this way, you will be able to start moving the bolt.
- The last step is the final way to work on your chainring bolts. Make sure you do it carefully to avoid any damage to your chainrings as they will come off. The chainring is asymmetric, you have to note which direction it faces. The teeth sometimes are imperceptibly off-set to the right or the left.
- While loosening the bolts, you need to pay attention to the exact position of the bolts and chainrings. It can be for any washers or spacers. You can unscrew every bolt in turn.
- You can thoroughly clean the chainrings if it is needed.
- After that, take a tray for placing your bolts. You can put all that small part in a tray. So, you will not worry about the loss of each essential part.
- The chainring may have specific teeth that help in shifting gears. So, you should pay attention to each marking in very detail. This marking may show you the exact position of the ring.
- You can thoroughly clean the chainrings bolts and get the new chainrings bolts ready to use.
- Now you need to reattach the chainrings and then the chainrings bolts followed by the crankset.
- Finally, do a test that everything is working as it should. If everything is working fine then you have done the job properly.
Finally, I hope this article covering how to remove chainring bolts on a mountain bike was helpful. To replace or remove the chainring bolts involves a little bit of work to uninstall and put back together, the process is relatively straightforward. If it is a case that you are not comfortable with the process of removing chainring bolts you can visit your local bike shop.
And that’s it for now! I’d love it if this post on how to remove chainring bolts on a mountain bike was helpful to you. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know if there is more to add.