Not many mountain bikers give a second thought about the spokes on the wheel of the bike. The spokes on a bike do an important job in helping to spread the biker’s weight and they help to make the wheel stronger, it also helps to improve the performance of the bike. So, how to measure the length of the spokes on a bike?
It is quite easy to measure the length of the spokes on a bike. It is a fairly straightforward process if have a spoke ruler. With the ruler, you have to hook the spoke on the ruler and take the measurement. If you have no ruler you can use a measuring tape.
In this post, we will go through how to measure the spokes on a bike. Let’s get started!
Read more on common questions asked
- How Long Do Carbon Bike Frames Last?
- How Much Is A Bike Tune-Up?
- What Should Mountain Bike Tire Pressure Be?
- What Is A Bottom Bracket On Your Bike?
- How To Look Up Bike By Serial Number?
What Is A Spoke On A Bike?
Bike spokes are the thin rods that connect the wheel hub and rim. The role of the spokes is that they transfer the weight between the rim and the hub. The more spokes you have the more weight you can carry and it makes the wheel stronger.
Bike spokes are nothing but little thick metal toothpicks filling the space between the wheel and axle. The spokes may be small but they play an important role. These are as follows.
- Adds strength to your rim.
- Supports your weight on the wheel.
- Transferring leg power from the hub towards the wheel.
Can You Ride A Bike With A Broken Spoke?
Yes, you can ride a bike with a broken spoke. That is if there are one or two broken spokes after that it starts to weaken the wheel and therefore may not be able to spread the weight properly. If the broken spoke is wobbly or broken you should try to fix the broken spoke as it may damage other parts of your bike or worse.
What Are The Common Types Of Bike Spokes?
There are a number of types of spokes for bikes. There are different spokes that are used for different biking styles and bikes. The main types of bike spokes are as follows.
- Straight-gauge spokes – This spoke that has the same diameter from the top to bottom. These are cheaper but also heavier.
- Single-butted spokes – Butted means that there is a change in the diameter. And single means that there one change in size diameter.
- Double-butted spokes – Same as the single-butted spokes but the double means that there are 2 changes in the double-butted two changes in diameter.
- Aero Bladed Spokes – This is a superlight aerodynamic efficient spoke with the middle section flattened into a thin rod but both ends are not flattened.
What Are Bike Spokes Head Types?
There are 2 main head types that are used on bike spokes, these are as follows.
- Straight Pull – As the name suggests that there is no bend on this type of spoke. These types of spokes are not as popular as the J-bend spoke.
- J-Bend – This type of spoke type has a 90-degree bend at the end which is connected to the hub. This is the most popular type of spoke.
Tools And Materials Required
There are a couple of tools and materials needed to fix a broken spoke. These are as follows.
How To Measure Spokes On A Bike?
Measuring spokes on a bike is a fairly straightforward process if you use a spoke ruler. The ruler has special holes on it that you can hook the spoke into and can then measure. There are other holes on this particular rule that are used for sizing ball bearings and cotter pins.
To measure the spokes on a bike, the steps are as follows.
- If you need to, you can remove the spoke from the wheel.
- On the ruler, hook the spoke in the hole.
- Ensure that the spoke is straight and not at an angle.
- Now you can get the length of the spoke.
Not everyone has 10 dollars to buy a ruler for a one-off job. You can use a measuring tape. With a measuring tape, you will not need to take the spoke off the bike. You need to place the measuring tape along the spoke and then note the measurement.
How Tight Should Spokes Be?
Simply the spokes on the bike should be tight and firm. All the spokes on the bike need to be similar in tightness with each other. This is because any spoke that is tighter than the rest may cause the ones next to it to loosen, even break.
How Much Do Spokes Cost?
Bike spikes can cost between $2 for a single spoke to $15 for a pack of 36. Bike shops are the only ones that sell single spokes. And if the bike shop is replacing your spoke then the labor might cost anything from $15 to $30, this depends a lot on the location.
Finally, it is quite easy to measure the length of the spokes on a bike. It is an especially straightforward process if have a spoke ruler. With the ruler, you have to hook the spoke on the ruler and take the measurement. If you have no ruler you can use a measuring tape.
And that’s it for now! I’d love it if this post on how to measure spokes on a bike was helpful to you. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know if there is more to add.